Thursday, August 28, 2008

Laine's Back to School Open House

Today was Open House at Laine's new school, Centreville Elementary School. My good friend from work watched Eve and James so that Laine could have some special time with mom and dad while we all get to know her new environment. Earlier this week, Laine got a letter of introduction from her new teacher, so last night Laine wrote this letter to give to them. I was so proud. The only words I helped her with were her teachers' names. In case you're not accustomed to deciphering kindergarten writing, the letter says:
Dear Mrs. Moulder and Mes Leitch My naem is Lainey My sister is Evey 3 1/2 My beruther isNaeMis James 1 THIS is Mom and Dad I AM 5 I Am SkcaerD for schooL I wiL BE HAPey to See you SinSeeerLy Lainey
On the way to school, Laine told me a heartbreaking confession. It went like this: "Um, Mom. I really have to tell you something. One time, a while ago, I broke the plate that says 'Less Dessert' on it and I didn't want you to know so I swept up the pieces and while I was cleaning it I got a cut on the tip of my finger, so that was why I had to wear a sock over my hand. So you wouldn't find out." It was so sweet and sad! I was worried that this had happened at someone else's house because I couldn't figure out for the life of me why I of all people would own a plate that had 'Less Dessert' written on it. Then I realized she meant 'Les Dessert' which is one of the plates from my french themed dessert plate collection that my sister gave me.
When we got there, Laine found her classroom and quickly located the backpack hook with her name on it.

She delivered her letter to her teachers. Here she is getting to know Mrs. Moulder, one of her new kindergarten teachers. She got to eat some snacks, meet some friends, and get familiar with her new classroom.

We were so proud of her for being so good that afterward, Chris and I took her out to a lunch restaurant of her choice. She chose Pho. Here she is with her proud Daddy. We're so proud of our big kindergarten girl! This has all gone my so fast.

6 comments:

Nikki said...

Laine, you look so cute in those back to school clothes! Good luck in Kindergarten, you'll do great!

Anonymous said...

Dear, Sweet Laine:
I am so happy that you are now in Kindergarten. I loved your letter to Mrs. Moulder. She looks like a very nice teacher. I know that you will love school and your teachers. I know that you will have many friends because you are such a kind and loving girl.
Today all of my Kindergarten kids came to school. I had a great day with them. They are all trying to do as I ask and to learn as much as they can. I know that you will too. I love you with all my heart.
Grandma Bradley

Anonymous said...

Dear, Darling Eve:
Thank you for leaving such a nice message on my telephone machine. I play it often to hear your sweet voice. I think about you and Laine and James all the time. I miss you and hope that you are happy in your preschool. I love you, sweetheart.
Grandma Bradley

Nic said...

That's a great letter, Laine! I didn't know you could write so well! I can't wait for you to tell me (or write me) all about kindergarten!

Love,
Nemo

Ali said...

What a darling little family you have! Thanks for your comment on my blog :) It's always fun to 'meet' new people this way. I wish your sweet little Laine all the best in Kindergarten. Who was more emotional about the whole thing... you or her? When my daughter left me for nursery, I was a little over the top, emotional.. for the love, I don't know how we'll make it through the first day of Kindergarten!

Unknown said...

Congrats Laine! You look like you're well on your way to a great year of kindergarten.
I have a really cute picture of Laine and Bruce when they were just little. It's hard to believe how much growing up has happened since then. I should send that to you.