Saturday, May 31, 2008

You can spank the tar out of em, but you can't spank out stupid

Laine and Eve have been causing a good deal of trouble lately. So the other day, they had their little neighbor friend over and were playing in the basement while I was upstairs with James trying to read. After a while, I noticed that it sounded like water had been running for a while, so I thought I'd investigate. As soon as she hears my footsteps, she screams out, "HIDE!!!" and I see three little naked bums scurrying off to hide under various pieces of furniture. Not reassuring.

"Umm, girls?"

Squelch Squerch. *Looks down at feet*

"Oh my gosh! Why is the whole basement all wet?"

*giggle giggle*

"GET OUT! I can see you! No hiding from mom!"

As it turns out, the girls were trying to make a bathtub out of a laundry basket so that they could take a bath while they watched Snow White. Eve's idea. Of course. They'd been filling up their beach pail and any other toys they could find that would hold water and carrying it from the bathroom sink to the laundry basket, which was lined in a pillow and baby blankets to try to prevent leakage. Well the whole basement was wet and yucky and now it smells bad. When Chris got home, he gave them three sound spankings each.

The next night while I'm at work...

*ring ring*

A disgruntled sounding "Hello?"

"Hey lover, how's your night going?"

"Uhhh you don't want to know."

"What happened?"

"The girls tried to make a bathtub in their bedroom."

"What?! After they got spanked for doing the same thing yesterday?"

"Yup. Not the brightest bulbs."

"Oh my gosh, I'm sorry I bore you mentally deficient children. And I'm sorry you had to clean it up alone!!"

"It's okay. I gave them four spankings this time."

So they haven't tried to make any bathtubs since then, but Laine's been playing these little mind games with me. Like the other day, we were having girls' reading time and we were reading Pippi Longstocking. Both girls were really into the story, but Eve asked me to stop reading for a second while she went to get a blanket. She said "Don't start the story without me!" and hurried off. As soon as she's gone, Laine whispers in my ear. "You don't have to listen to her. She's not the boss of you. Just start reading. You can't let Eve boss you around like that." What a hoot. At least James is still a good boy. Lately, he's been pretending to participate in conversations with us. We'll ask him questions and he smiles and nods or shakes his head and mumbles. It's so cute.

5 comments:

Allison said...

My stomach hurts from laughing so hard. Your stories keep getting better.

Kirsten said...

I hope Atticus uses plastic to line the laundry basket when he gets that great idea.

Nikki said...

Oh man that totally sucks! I love the title of the post, you're a witty writer too!

Unknown said...

That story is pretty awesome. But I got goose bumps when I read about Laine's mind games. Kinda scary, like seeing a ghost or stepping on a porcupine or somethin'.

Unknown said...

Oh dear! That, I must say, is an awesome story. I'm sorry to have to say that! Those are some very creative and ingenious little girls you have there. They aren't going to let the common convention of "holes in a bucket" stop them. I love it! But I really am sorry :)