Friday, November 16, 2007

Funniest Game of Hangman Ever! Also in this edition: a movie review.

One of the greatest things about our apartment is the fact that it is 5 minutes away from Chris's office. Pretty much every day since the girls and I moved here, Chris has been coming home for lunch which has been fun. Today during lunch, Chris taught the girls how to play hangman, and later they wanted me to play it with them. It was hilarious! Okay, so first of all the girls know how to spell like 5 words: Laine, Eve, James, Mom and Dad. And in order to write out the correct number of dashes, they need to spell the word aloud, so while they're writing out _ _ _ _ _, they say outloud: "L-A-I-N-E... OK Mom, I'm ready for you to guess my word!" Laine is a merciful executioner, who will keep adding features to her man to keep it from hanging, adding eyelashes, belly buttons, and fingernails until you've exhausted all the letters of the alphabet. Eve kills her guy off after like 3 guesses, adding 2 arms and a leg if you guess a letter wrong. She'll also change her mind on what the word is halfway through the game, which is kind of ridiculous when you're recycling the same 5 words over and over again.

I just got back from seeing a movie tonight. I decided to see Love in the Time of Cholera. It's one of my favorite books, so I went with the full expectation that the movie would do nothing to capture the literary genius of Gabriel Garcia Marquez. As long as you go in with that expectation, it's an okay movie. It has beautiful cinematography and stays pretty true to the plot. I had expected teenage Florentino to look a little less goobery and a little more like a younger version of Marquz himself, and I was a little surprised at Benjamin Bratt being cast as Juvenal Urbino, but he rose to the challenge very well. The actress that played Fermina was lovely, but her acting left much to be desired. You kind of wonder, OK Florentino, remind me why you spent half a century pining over this girl. Most of what I loved about the book was lost, but I mean really, that was to be expected. There's no way to capture it on film. Read the book and you'll see what I mean. At least it wasn't as a butchered nightmare like the film version of House of the Spirits. Ugh! Quite possibly the WORST Latin American novel-to-film adaptation ever!!! If you want to see a great Latin American novel-to-film, see Like Water for Chocolate. Overall, Love in the Time of Cholera was pretty good. Maybe even quite good to someone that hasn't read the book.

No comments: