Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Happy 4th Birthday, Eve!

For those of you who don't remember what happened 4 years ago, I'll fill you in on the highlights. When Laine was 17 months old, I was very very prego. I was all set to deliver at the birthing center in Holladay except for one little problem. My baby was breech. I had known this for weeks and had tried every home remedy known to google to turn the kid. This included the pelvic tilt, moxabustion, acupuncture, chiropractics, and standing on my head. Haha yeah I know the thought of upside down pregnant ladies conjures up such a comical image. But you try coming up with a better method than gravity for turning babies vertex, ok? Anyway, finally, my midwife referred me to an obstetrician who had a 100% success rate at turning babies. Well, that was until she met me. The baby stayed stubbornly footling breech and I was scheduled for a section on election day which I didn't care about because I didn't like either Kerry or Bush. I was devastated about the section though.

The Friday night prior to my section, I started to feel crampy. On Saturday morning, I woke up and was definitely contracting. Luckily, I'd practiced my relaxation techniques and was in no pain. I called in to work and my boss's wife (as well as dear friend of mine), Serena, covered for me while Chris and I dropped Laine off at my parents and went to the hospital to check things out. When the nurse came in to check my cervix, she said "Oh! Body parts!" and ran out of the room to open up the OR. Very shortly afterward, our little feet-first Eve entered the world. Here's a picture of our little 5 and a half pound peanut, stubborn since conception.And here she is today blowing out the candles to her 4th birthday cake.Laine loves chocolate.Eve got SO many presents! Thanks, everyone. Our little fairy princess felt absolutely pampered. And a special thanks to those who got a little something for Laine and James. That always helps alleviate the inevitable SBJS (Sibling's Birthday Jealousy Syndrome for those of you who aren't in health care).
James learned a few new words today. He can say "Up!" As in, "Help me up into Laine and Eve's bed so I can giggle and read and play pretending games with them all night!" He can also say "Mine!" As in "I don't care if it's your birthday and all these things are pink and girly. I want them!"Is "Hmph" a word? As in "Hmph! Fine! I'll go sleep in my own bed, but only after screaming and fussing for 45 minutes!"

By the way, Eve's birthday is actually on the 30th, tomorrow, but I have class on Thursday nights, so we celebrated early.

8 comments:

Nikki said...

Happy Birthday Eve!!! We love you!

I'm surprised to see the chocolate cake made it til today ;)

Patricia said...

Thanks for posting Eve's B-day clarification. I was breaking out into cold sweat thinking I was going crazy!! Happy B-Day monkey!!

Kirsten said...

Happy Birthday Eve!

Here's to all the princesses (and one little prince who covets princess accessories)!

Kelly and Joe said...

Thanks for adding the video clips! What a fun way to truly celebrate a beautiful princess's b-day.

We are very happy for you, Chris & Christine!

Silvia said...

Happy bday Eve! Looks like you had a good bday party!
-Silvia

Carola said...

Hey, your blog came out to me in such and unusual way! I was searching for the meaning of the word "auburn" (that's because I'm Brazilian, and I didn't found this word on my dictionary), that I read in a music and I didn't know what was it. So a post of yours appeared to me (you were talking about your children's auburn hair) and I decided to see the pictures, the other posts.
I found it amazingly nice! Your kids are SO cute. Really, when I grow up, I want to have kids as nice as yours. They seem to be so smart, so happy!
Okay, I've already wrote a letter. You don't even know me (and I don't know you), but I felt like I had to tell you that. You must be so happy with this beautiful family! Congratulations!
From an unknown girl from Brazil,

Carolina

P.S.: If you don't mind, I'll come here whenever is possible to develop my English. It's good for me to read things, search for the words's meanings and all that. I've already graduated in my English course, but practicing is necessary. Always. Hope you don't mind. :P

Christine said...

Hi Carolina,
Oh, that's hilarious! I'm glad you found out what auburn means. =) Thanks for posting a comment. Of course you're welcome to visit our blog. Your English is fantastic.
Christine

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Eve! We hope you had a great day and lots of chocolate cake :)