Thursday, November 13, 2008

I Don't Feel Like It: The biography of a fairy princess

Oftentimes, during church, our family passes notes to one another. This serves two major purposes: 1) It improves the girls' reading comprehension and writing skills and 2) It takes an immense amount of energy and concentration for the girls to be able to write legibly, which means energy not spent fussing. Last week, this was the note that went back and forth between me and Eve while Eve was supposed to be up front singing with the rest of the kids.When she sent it back to me, it dawned on me that her response was pretty much the story of her life summed up in one sentence. In case you can't read it, it says:

Me: Eve, will you please sit with the other sunbeams?

Eve: I don't feel like it.

Me: It would make me very happy if you obeyed your mother.

Eve: *scribble* (Apparently, she didn't even want to dignify that with a written response.)


"I don't feel like it" really has pretty much been Eve's mantra since birth. It all started with the breech thing where she didn't feel like turning and it's been that way ever since. With Eve, everything has to be done according to her timeline. You have to wait until she feels like it. Why else would a three year old who could read better than 1/4 of my graduating high school class be unable to potty train?To her credit, Eve did start to cooperate eventually. Here are some notes written 20 minutes after the first one. It seems that James is following in Eve's footsteps with the whole "I don't feel like it" thing. Here's a picture of him awake at like 1:00 in the morning yesterday because he didn't feel like sleeping in his own bed. He's been getting up at all hours and it's sooooooo hard for me to put on my angry mom eyes and send him back to bed when he's so freaking adorable! Look at him! Would you be able to be the bad cop and send this baby to bed? Or would you want to snuggle him?Oh, here are some pictures I took of James when we went to the polls on Election Day. He and I got up early and got to the polls at 6:00 when they opened. We waited in a really really really long line. Here he is afterward sporting his "I Voted" stickers. I've gotta save these pictures to show his grandkids how he came with his mama to vote for Obama.

Oh and I wanted to post a picture of Laine before she loses a very wiggly top tooth. I'm really not at all happy about this loose tooth stage happening so early. I really thought it wasn't until like the age of 6 that the cute baby teeth start to go. Today, Chris went to volunteer at Laine's classroom during art time. She was super excited about that. And that pretty much sums it up for updates on our family. It's been a fairly quiet week. We're all kinda under the weather, but other than that, life is good.

2 comments:

Nikki said...

That's so funny about Eve! This is such an obstinate age. Marshall is like that too. So, Marsh has that shirt James is wearing. I think that's 3 things now, the beanie, the coat, and the shirt. Twinners!

Silvia said...

I really love the idea of passing notes back and forth. Before I had Jacen, Elijah and I passed notes during sacrament meeting all the time. I guess we have our hands full now and forgot to pass our notes. How cute!
-Silvia