Saturday, July 12, 2008

Fireflies

Fireflies might be one of the most magical things in the world. I had never encountered them until this summer after we moved to Virginia. Tonight was the girls' first time seeing them. Our backyard woods were just lit up with the little sparkling bugs and we spent a good hour watching them in awe.

I think in this clip you can actually see some of them. They're sort of hard to capture on film. We feel so lucky to have a backyard forest full of frogs and fireflies and other ingredients to childhood magic.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought for a moment, that I'd been sucked into the Blair Witch Project--until right at the very end, I DID see a firefly! And I do believe in fairies. I do. I do! (And I'm clapping my hands.) And I love being wild and free too!
Wish I could have been there to share the magic with you.
Miss you and love you,
Grandma

Kirsten said...

The dialogue with Laine in these clips is hilarious. But why...

I don't know how I'm going to handle having a child that converses like that. I didn't know the answer to any of those questions! Probably I'm going to start making up stuff and the poor kid will be telling his teachers how fireflies can sense whether or not they are outdoors based on their special brain waves.

Allison said...

I have never, ever seen a firefly, so thank you for the video.