Sunday, September 13, 2009

Fairies and Reading and School, Oh My!

For those who have never had a chance to witness my girls voracious reading habits, you should probably know that for a four and a six year old these girls are serious readers. Laine devoured the first sixteen Magic Tree House books and Eve followed close behind. Their new favorite reading materials are the million and one fairy books written by a group of authors that all share the pseudonym of Daisy Meadows. The fairy books consist of a bunch of series, each with seven books, each featuring a different set of fairies. Eve is currently loving the weather fairies while Laine chomps through the rainbow fairies. I think they're having a contest for who can finish first, but I can never quite figure out the rules of the competition. As far as I can tell, the winner get the first go at the dance fairies series, but I could be wrong, it's hard to tell, the girls talk fast and laugh a lot when I try to understand the game.


James on the other hand is pretty easy to figure out. He's excited to be a school boy one day and get to go to school like his sisters. Some days he likes to borrow Eve's backpack, put it on upside down, and walk around the house announcing that he's going to school. He's so cute it's unbelievable. He also loves being turned upside down and tickled, but I figure that's pretty standard for age two.


I had my birthday yesterday, we celebrated by going to the state fair and seeing a bunch of animals and some art and riding some of the carnival rides there. The girls had a ball at the photography exhibit doing the photo scavenger hunt, they found all the pictures on the list except for the dog with the hat. They also thought seeing the sheep get sheared was pretty cool. One of the weird challenges of being a single parent is that you don't automatically have someone to take the kids to get you a present using your own money anymore. Took me a while to figure out what to do, but I ended up slipping my mom some cash and telling her to take the kids shopping. That ended up pretty well, they got to go get some presents for Daddy and I got some shirts that don't fit and a very delicious chocolate cake. All in all it was a pretty good day.